Esterno Hotel
Camera Privilege

Book online

San Casciano dei Bagni

Situated on the southern limit of the province of Siena, San Casciano dei Bagni is renown for its abundant sources of thermal waters. The thermal basin consists of 42 springs, widely spread all over the territory. Although the Etruscans first discovered these exceptional waters, the thermal area was further developed only by the Romans.

During the Middle Ages, the feudal aristocracy only was allowed to enjoy the benefits given by the Thermae. In the period that went from the Renaissance to the middle of the XVIII th century, this region grow on fame and, today, the same springs feed our Fonteverde Spa centre, one of the most well-known spas in Italy. Furthermore, the natural environment can boast a breathtaking landscape, thus making San Casciano an ideal destination for nature lovers.

The town of San Casciano dei Bagni is just a few metres away from Fonteverde. The historic centre has a characteristic medieval layout, with a maze of alleys that wrap themselves up around the hill, towards the Collegiate and the Town Hall. In the church of Santa Maria della Colonna, that stands in the heart of the countryside, it's possible to admire the remains of an ancient roman ''suburbium'', raised during the IVth-Vth century.

If you plan a holiday in San Casciano, you shouldn't miss Celle sul Rigo, a small village located four kilometres far from Fonteverde, whose astonishing views where much celebrated by the poet Giosuè Carducci.

From the neighbouring Castle of Fighine, be amazed by the sensational view of the Val di Chiana, sweeping from the castle's surroundings to the distant peaks of the Appenines, while enjoying high quality wine and oil produced in Palazzone, a rural village near the Spa.

San Casciano has been nominated one of the Most Beautiful Old Towns of Italy and received the Orange Flag, seal of environmental and tourism quality.

The Castle

San Casciano's castle was built in 1911 by the Bologna family. The castle overlooks Piazza Matteotti, surrounded by a wide park. Its medieval architectural appearance, enriched with double lancet windows, gives a characteristic look to the village of San Casciano.

Church of Saint Conception

The church is located in the town centre of San Casciano. It is a small building dating back to the 16th century. Exteriorly, it's characterized by a ridge roof and a simple façade. In the interior, the only nave leads to a fresco, just behind the altar. The niches on the sides of the church hold a representation of Saint Peter and Saint Girolamo, and two plastered angels holding a chandelier. These frescoes are attributed to Niccolò Circignani, called Pomarancio (second half of 16th century).

Church of the Capuchins

It was founded by the Capuchins monks on the 18th October 1579. It's original structure has been lost, because of the partial renewal it experienced during the years. The religious building is dedicated to Baby Jesus child and it is closed all year long, except for the 8th of September. The interior's paintings are rather simple and essential, with flower decorations on the medallions of the walls. Right above the altar, you will find a painting of the Virgin with the Holy Child, with two angels keeping a gilded crown over the main figure.

Pagan Temple of the 5th Century

This temple is located next to the arcades of the Spa. The history of this construction is uncertain: it is dated back to the Vth century, thus making it the most antique monument of San Casciano. The researchers state that this temple, probably dedicated to the goddess of health "Igea", should have become the ancient "Pieve", also known as Church of the Baths, or of the Madonna of the Column. Inside,situated on a podium with a canopy, you will find a Renaissance altar of the 16th century; the portal, built in Roman style, enters a building decorated with pillars and frescoes. Next to the temple stand the vestiges of an old Franciscan convent (15th century), a place to give hospitality to the foreigners coming to the spa for thermal cures. The temple has been restored in 1920 and in 1980.