During Etruscan times, the territory was under the sway of the important town
of Chiusi. The built-up area today (509m a.s.l.) originated in the early Middle
Ages around a baptismal church, dedicated to Saints Gervasio and Protasio, and
named Castrum Plebis.
It was completed in 1326 with the building of a fortress by the Perugini, who,
after the death of Emperor Frederick II in 1250, imposed their seignory until
1529, when Pope Clement VII de' Medici brought the town under the central dominion
of the Church.
The most important buildings were erected between the XIIIth and XVIth centuries,
and bricks were used in their construction, since Città della Pieve had been a
major brick-work production centre since the Middle Ages.
Besides a number of rnasterpieces by Pieve-born Pietro Vannucci, known as "Perugino",
such as the "Adoration of the Magi" (1504), the "Descent from the Cross" (1517),
the "Madonna in Glory" (1514), and the "Baptism of Christ" (1510), Cittagrave;
della Pieve also hosts several fine works by Domenico Alfani, Antonio Circignani,
known as "Pomarancio" and Savini.
Il Perugino. "The Adoration of the Magi" (1504)
Oratory of Santa Maria dei Bianchi
The story is depicted as a big knightly procession lost in the vastnees of one
of the largest landscapes created by Vannucci. Here is recognisable, though idealised,
the view from Città della Pieve toward. Trasimeno and the Valdichiana.
"Palio dei Terzieri"
is just inspired at the period in which Perugino the Città della Pieve's greatest
son, lived (1450 - 1523). The three wards of the town, called Terzieri (Borgo
Dentro, Casilino, Castello), taking inspiration from the "Caccia del Toro" (a
primitive bullfight which took place in the ancient Castel della Pieve in the
XV and XVI Centuries) challenge each other in the form of Valdichiana bulls. The
contest is preceded by a historical procession of about 700 participants in Renaissance
costume. For the occasion, the old tavern are opened, serving typical Umbrian
and Tuscany dishes.